Just want to extend a huge thank you to Tekzilla for doing a review of NAI. Hit up the link to check out the video over at Revision3. [link]
Network Activity Indicator
Windows 7 did a lot of things right. One thing where that philosophy fell short was the network system tray.
In Windows XP, it would animate depending on whether there was activity on the network. This program bring this functionality back to Windows 7.
Available languages at the moment are: German, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Lithuanian, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Czech, Turkish, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Italian, Indonesian and Swedish.
NOTE: .net Framework v4.0 is required for this application to run. If you do not have it installed please download and install it before trying to run this application.
0.9.1 - 2011 December 30
This update is long overdue.
- Added setting to select the Preferred Connection the program will use on start up. This was one of the major features users with multiple connections requested.
- Added updated Settings window. Now users can get information regarding the connection directly from NAI.
- Change the way NAI checks for updates. There is now a setting the user can select to check for updates only on start up or manually check for updates when the user click the button.
- Added Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Swedish, Italian and Indonesian. Many thanks to those that contributed these languages.
The next big feature will be a simplification of language downloads. At the moment, language files are only updated when I update the entire program. In the future, I'll be looking to allow the user to download additional language files directly from the settings window.
0.9.0 - 2011 June 06
- Fixed crash when trying to write debug file without the proper elevated permission.
- Fixed possible crash if using Windows classic theme.
- Reduced text size of the chart labels to better accommodate the longer text widths of some foreign languages.
0.8.6 - 2011 May 27
- Increased width of the dialog to accommodate some of the longer translations.
- Dialog header and footer will now use the system theme's image instead of the hard-coded one.
- Updated the German translation.
0.8.5 - 2011 May 25
- Hopefully fixed the bug some people were experiencing when they had it set to start with windows (Language folder not found). To those that have encountered this problem please let me know if this update has fixed it.
- Added Czech language thanks to Vaclav Panenka and updated French language thanks to Spring.
- Added updating feature. NAI will now check to see if you are running the latest version and will allow downloading the newest one if not.
- Changed the behavior of the graph. It will now take into account the upload speed and adjust accordingly.
- Sorry for the long time between updates. I've recently had some medical problems and have spent the last week recovering.
0.8.1 - 2011 May 14
- Changed the filename of the translations. They are now named according to language code. German is now de-DE.xml, spanish is es-ES, etc.
So now if you want NAI to change to German, for example, you'll want to set Windows to use German (Germany) in the language settings.
- Added Japanese and Portuguese (Brazil) translations. Thanks to Takeda and Marcelo for those.
- Added some debug code. If you are still having trouble with the translations not showing, please send me the debug.txt file found in the folder.
Sorry for any confusion or problems the last update might have caused. It's hard to test for all scenarios when switching to a new method of applying translations and hopefully this won't occur again.
0.8.0 - 2011 May 13
- Changed the way the graph scales the display. It now will take an average of the last 30 seconds and adjust accordingly. This should hopefully fix the times where it would jump around when the download speed was close to max speed displayed.
This average will be adjustable in the next update with 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute and 5 minutes as intervals to choose from.
- Changed the icon displayed for the type of network connection from the globe to ethernet jack or wireless aerial dependent on type.
- Changed the way information is displayed. Now arranged in collapsible groups of Current and Total values.
- Changed the way translations are stored and applied to the window.
- Added 'Total Download / Upload bytes' for the current internet session. Please let me know if you have trouble with this. I've noticed that, at times, it doesn't count downloads / uploads from uTorrent.
- Added Turkish, Finnish and Russian translation.
To those that sent in their updated translations, thank you very much! To those that missed the deadline, hopefully you'll get them in before the end of next week.
0.7.5 - 2011 May 07
- Fixed the clipped text bug when using Portuguese (Brazil) language.
- Added Portuguese (Portugal), Dutch and Spanish translations thanks to Hugoluiten, PhoeniX and AleMMR95.
- Added the ability to select the connection that is monitored.
Right-click the icon in the system tray and choose the connection to monitor. Only ethernet and wireless connection are visible. This is to ensure Loopback, Tunnel and other non-user connections aren't visible.
I've also changed the way it detects network connections. Please let me know if you happen to experience any problems.
0.7.1 - 2011 May 02
- Added Portuguese (Brazil), French, Czech and Indonesian translations thanks to Marrussa, Phlooo, Kuvaly and Yvidhiatama.
0.7.0 - 2011 April 28
- Fix taskbar bug where the window would pop up on the primary screen instead of following the taskbar.
- Added Hungarian and Italian translations. A big thank you to Sztewe and Vincenzo for taking the time to do that.
0.6.5 - 2011 April 27
- Adjusted the way the Max Peak Bandwidth scales on the bandwidth graph.
- Fixed bug with Download Bandwidth text not displaying properly for German translation.
- Fixed crash when using Classic style and adjusted the window display to better conform to other dialogs with Classic style.
- Added 'No Connection' icon.
0.6.0 - 2011 April 23
- Added 'Pin this dialog' feature. Click the pin in the top right corner to keep the window open. Click it again to resume normal behavior.
- Tweak the way graph records and displays the bandwidth activity. It will now scale depending on the peak bandwidth.
- Added localization for German and Polish languages. Thanks to PacMani and Meathor for those.
I'll fix the Classic theme visuals in an update tomorrow. Simply ran out of time today to do that.
0.5.1 - 2011 April 22
- Changed the way NAI gets the network connection. It will now fetch the first, active connection.
- Adjusted window position on screen.
- Added basic customization to change the look of the system tray icons. Close application. Replace the icons found in the folder with the ones you want to use - make sure they are named the same. Restart application for change to take affect.
- Added right-click menu to close application.
- Fixed the re-draw of the graph. It would update if there wasn't any network activity.
0.5.0 - 2011 April 22
- Initial release
Please send any bug reports to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Network Activity Indicator Support" in the message title. It'll be easier to track these issues.
Please send all translations to email@example.com with "Network Activity Indicator - Translation" in the message title. It'll be easier to include them in the application.
To those that have chosen to help out by suppling a translations, can I ask you to submit your language of choice to the email above using the following outline as a guide:
<Label1>Currently connected to:</Label1>
<Label2>Current bandwidth values</Label2>
<Label5>Total bandwidth values</Label5>
<Label10>Graph interval (30 seconds)</Label10>
<Label16>Open network connections</Label16>