Just want to extend a huge thank you to Tekzilla for doing a review of NAI. Hit up the link to check out the video over at Revision3. [link]
Network Activity Indicator
Windows 7 did a lot of things right. One thing where that philosophy fell short was the network system tray.
In Windows XP, it would animate depending on whether there was activity on the network. This program bring this functionality back to Windows 7.
Available languages at the moment are: German, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Lithuanian, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Czech, Turkish, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Italian, Indonesian and Swedish.
NOTE: .net Framework v4.0 is required for this application to run. If you do not have it installed please download and install it before trying to run this application.
0.9.1 - 2011 December 30
This update is long overdue.
- Added setting to select the Preferred Connection the program will use on start up. This was one of the major features users with multiple connections requested.
- Added updated Settings window. Now users can get information regarding the connection directly from NAI.
- Change the way NAI checks for updates. There is now a setting the user can select to check for updates only on start up or manually check for updates when the user click the button.
- Added Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Swedish, Italian and Indonesian. Many thanks to those that contributed these languages.
The next big feature will be a simplification of language downloads. At the moment, language files are only updated when I update the entire program. In the future, I'll be looking to allow the user to download additional language files directly from the settings window.
0.9.0 - 2011 June 06
- Fixed crash when trying to write debug file without the proper elevated permission.
- Fixed possible crash if using Windows classic theme.
- Reduced text size of the chart labels to better accommodate the longer text widths of some foreign languages.
0.8.6 - 2011 May 27
- Increased width of the dialog to accommodate some of the longer translations.
- Dialog header and footer will now use the system theme's image instead of the hard-coded one.
- Updated the German translation.
0.8.5 - 2011 May 25
- Hopefully fixed the bug some people were experiencing when they had it set to start with windows (Language folder not found). To those that have encountered this problem please let me know if this update has fixed it.
- Added Czech language thanks to Vaclav Panenka and updated French language thanks to Spring.
- Added updating feature. NAI will now check to see if you are running the latest version and will allow downloading the newest one if not.
- Changed the behavior of the graph. It will now take into account the upload speed and adjust accordingly.
- Sorry for the long time between updates. I've recently had some medical problems and have spent the last week recovering.
0.8.1 - 2011 May 14
- Changed the filename of the translations. They are now named according to language code. German is now de-DE.xml, spanish is es-ES, etc.
So now if you want NAI to change to German, for example, you'll want to set Windows to use German (Germany) in the language settings.
- Added Japanese and Portuguese (Brazil) translations. Thanks to Takeda and Marcelo for those.
- Added some debug code. If you are still having trouble with the translations not showing, please send me the debug.txt file found in the folder.
Sorry for any confusion or problems the last update might have caused. It's hard to test for all scenarios when switching to a new method of applying translations and hopefully this won't occur again.
0.8.0 - 2011 May 13
- Changed the way the graph scales the display. It now will take an average of the last 30 seconds and adjust accordingly. This should hopefully fix the times where it would jump around when the download speed was close to max speed displayed.
This average will be adjustable in the next update with 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute and 5 minutes as intervals to choose from.
- Changed the icon displayed for the type of network connection from the globe to ethernet jack or wireless aerial dependent on type.
- Changed the way information is displayed. Now arranged in collapsible groups of Current and Total values.
- Changed the way translations are stored and applied to the window.
- Added 'Total Download / Upload bytes' for the current internet session. Please let me know if you have trouble with this. I've noticed that, at times, it doesn't count downloads / uploads from uTorrent.
- Added Turkish, Finnish and Russian translation.
To those that sent in their updated translations, thank you very much! To those that missed the deadline, hopefully you'll get them in before the end of next week.
0.7.5 - 2011 May 07
- Fixed the clipped text bug when using Portuguese (Brazil) language.
- Added Portuguese (Portugal), Dutch and Spanish translations thanks to Hugoluiten, PhoeniX and AleMMR95.
- Added the ability to select the connection that is monitored.
Right-click the icon in the system tray and choose the connection to monitor. Only ethernet and wireless connection are visible. This is to ensure Loopback, Tunnel and other non-user connections aren't visible.
I've also changed the way it detects network connections. Please let me know if you happen to experience any problems.
0.7.1 - 2011 May 02
- Added Portuguese (Brazil), French, Czech and Indonesian translations thanks to Marrussa, Phlooo, Kuvaly and Yvidhiatama.
0.7.0 - 2011 April 28
- Fix taskbar bug where the window would pop up on the primary screen instead of following the taskbar.
- Added Hungarian and Italian translations. A big thank you to Sztewe and Vincenzo for taking the time to do that.
0.6.5 - 2011 April 27
- Adjusted the way the Max Peak Bandwidth scales on the bandwidth graph.
- Fixed bug with Download Bandwidth text not displaying properly for German translation.
- Fixed crash when using Classic style and adjusted the window display to better conform to other dialogs with Classic style.
- Added 'No Connection' icon.
0.6.0 - 2011 April 23
- Added 'Pin this dialog' feature. Click the pin in the top right corner to keep the window open. Click it again to resume normal behavior.
- Tweak the way graph records and displays the bandwidth activity. It will now scale depending on the peak bandwidth.
- Added localization for German and Polish languages. Thanks to PacMani and Meathor for those.
I'll fix the Classic theme visuals in an update tomorrow. Simply ran out of time today to do that.
0.5.1 - 2011 April 22
- Changed the way NAI gets the network connection. It will now fetch the first, active connection.
- Adjusted window position on screen.
- Added basic customization to change the look of the system tray icons. Close application. Replace the icons found in the folder with the ones you want to use - make sure they are named the same. Restart application for change to take affect.
- Added right-click menu to close application.
- Fixed the re-draw of the graph. It would update if there wasn't any network activity.
0.5.0 - 2011 April 22
- Initial release
Please send any bug reports to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Network Activity Indicator Support" in the message title. It'll be easier to track these issues.
Please send all translations to email@example.com with "Network Activity Indicator - Translation" in the message title. It'll be easier to include them in the application.
To those that have chosen to help out by suppling a translations, can I ask you to submit your language of choice to the email above using the following outline as a guide:
A neat app. Sometimes when the modem is OFF and I login , the systray icon rightly displays the X . But as soon as I start the modem , it does not return to the monitoring ways ans seems to have hanged with the X. I had to exit and restart again.
Features I would love to see... 1.Getting the name of the adapter. 2.Ability to monitor a certain range of Ip only. I can exclude my LAN traffic. 3.Mention of the start time/date of the app and the for the time it is running. Bytes sent and recd are mentioned but from WHEN.
I'm running this on Windows 7 x64, and I am unable to access settings. When I click the gear (presumably the settings button), nothing happens. This makes an otherwise wonderful application rather irritating for a startup item as I can't set it to default to my wireless network connection.
In addition to any fix you may do for this, might I suggest that by default, if there is only one network connection, it selects it?
You don't click the gear icon to access the settings. The gear icon is for a feature that was never fully implemented - adjusting the update time of the graph. Instead, you need to click the link at the bottom of the window - in English it would be "Open network connections". In the settings window under the Settings tab, you can select the default connection NIA will use at start up.
Also, it should automatically select the first network connection it finds if you have not already configured the default connection. So if you only have one network connection available it SHOULD have selected that connection.
If I can find time to finish up the few features I started to add but ran out of time, I will release an update that includes a Settings options in the context menu. Other features that are partially complete at this time are:
1. Downloading / updating language packs directly from within the settings window. 2. Monthly, weekly and daily upload / download history. 3. Adjusting the time display of the graph (currently set to only display the last 30 seconds). Will allow for 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, etc...
Ah, ok, I thought 'Open network connections' was a link to one of Windows', for lack of a better term, network information areas.
As to the connection, I'm referring to actual connections, not disconnected interfaces. The first network interface device it detects is ethernet. The second is wifi. I guess we just had a difference in terminology; I only consider it a connection if it's connected and transmitting. So to rephrase: I think it would be a good addition if unless set otherwise, the program defaults to the first ACTIVE connection.
Magepresented by the
Welcome CSS can be
you're unfamiliar to
it. So that's why
we're writing these
articles! If you
have any suggestions
or would like to
write a section in
future CSS Did You
are like Ogres by
This article came
about after a
requested that we
write ten clear,
simple tips for
information can be
very useful, but
it down into
chunks is so much
easier. So without
further ado plea...
--- dear friends and
ly I'm not longer
able to make my
large news in
deviant art... the
shows the numbers of
the thumbs but not
the pics...so I'm
just going on here
with my little
hope you enjoy it
See the light and
in photography is a
art. One of the most
of a photographer is
to see light and to
remember it. Light
is the most changing
element in our daily
life. We move among
solid objects and
among people who do
`anmari has been spreading her infectious positivity throughout our community for over 6 years. Throughout this time Ana has been at the core of all things devious, passionately developing an eclectic gallery, helping organise devmeets, participating in chat events and also recently completed dedicating her time as a Community Volunteer. We are absolutely delighted to bestow the Deviousness Award for May 2013 to `anmari, congratulations! Read More